Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:09:01 -0500

>> You say "we don't lock ourselves into conservative stack-scanning
>> GC", which I interpret as saying you don't want to rely on stack
>> scanning to avoid a destructive GC in this case.  But if we don't
>> rely on that, where's the guarantee that such emacs_value will
>> survive GC?
> Emacs stores emacs_value values in a local reference table before
> handing them to module code.

I don't think this is worth the trouble.  I'm perfectly OK to either
require stack scanning or to require modules use the same GCPRO macros
we use in core.

If/when we get a new GC technology that is incompatible with our GCPROs
and/or stack scanning, well, then modules will break, but so will the
rest of the Emacs core code so it's only fair.

        Stefan "who didn't read the rest of this thread, sorry"