Re: map.el and naming

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: Re: map.el and naming
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 08:38:44 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:

>> From: Nicolas Petton <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 13:24:55 +0100
>>
>> I'm working on another library similar to seq.el but for maps (alists
>> and hash-tables for now).
>>
>> I have an issue with naming regarding mapping over keys/values of a
>> map. I thought about calling `map-map' the function that would map over
>> the keys and values of map, and `map-map-keys' the function that would
>> map over the keys of a map, etc.
>
> Are there any reasons why we couldn't have map-keys that could accept
> any object where such an operation makes sense?

That's what I'm doing :)

The only issue I have is regarding naming.  Stefan proposed to name the
library map.el, which I like.  The only issue I have is that "map" is
used for the noun (a map) and the verb (to map over things).  The result
is that to map over the keys/values of a map, I have a function named
`map-map', and I think that's unclear and ugly.

Cheers,
Nico
--
Nicolas Petton