Re: Free variable warning about bbdb-version (bug#19678)

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: Free variable warning about bbdb-version (bug#19678)
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 12:00:45 -0400

"Roland Winkler" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > I guess I would not try to be compatible with both versions.
>>
>> Do you see any harm in being compatible with both versions?  The
>> patch is already written and tested, so I figure I might as well
>> push it.
>
> No, I do not see any (direct) harm.  Merely, I find that such things
> can significantly decrease readability of the code and thus make
> maintanence more difficult.  (Yet I do not know how intensely the
> code you talk about is linked to BBDB.  With just a few function
> calls from BBDB there should not be too much a problem.)

The patch isn't too bad (see attached), but the version check is ugly.
I'm trying to make the 2.x to 3.x transition as smooth as possible for
EUDC users.

I agree that it would nice to be able to avoid this type of check.
There are lots of references to BBDB throughout Emacs that might have
version dependencies though.  That's why, once the copyrights are clear,
I'd like to see BBDB bundled in Emacs, rather than added to GNU ELPA.
Is that the plan?  Are the Emacs maintainers on board with bundling?

> Also, features in BBDB 3 have been significantly expanded.  I do not
> know either whether your code might benefit from that.

For now, I'm just trying to maintain status quo for eudcb-bbdb.el.
If/when your BBDB version is bundled it'll be easier to take advantage
of the new features.

Thomas