Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 21:26:57 -0400

> Reasonable people can differ on the conservative scanning issue (JSC
> does it; V8 and Java don't).  If we bake the assumption of conservative
> scanning into the interface, we're going to regret it later.

Yes, if we define the API as using conservative stack scanning, then
when we change to a GC that doesn't use conservative stack scanning, all
the plugins will need to be changed correspondingly.

Of course, when/if we make that change, we'll also have to make the same
changes to Emacs's own code.  My take on it is that making the changes
to Emacs itself will be a crapload more painful than fixing the few
affected plugins, so I'm really not worried about this eventuality.

> I have to insist on not requiring staticpro, at least in its present
> form.  Registration of new GC roots (i.e., global references) must be
> dynamic.

Of course it should be.  I didn't mean to take the current
implementation of staticpro and expose it as is.

        Stefan