Re: Is it possible for a 14 year old in the UK to be able to contribute

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Is it possible for a 14 year old in the UK to be able to contribute to Emacs?
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 07:34:08 -0400

Zack Piper <address@hidden>:
> I'm curious as to what GNU (and Emacs developers) feel about a 14
> year old (such as my self) being able to contribute to the Emacs
> project.

Any bright 14-year-old (and we can already tell you qualify as
"bright" by your use of English) is capable of contributing.  It's
unusual, and it takes a kind of concentration that most children
are not yet good at, but it does happen.  I encourage you to try.

Be aware that this list has more than its share of crusty,
rough-tongued people.  If you hang out here, you are likely to be
subjected to what in most other contexts would be considered fairly
serious rudeness and verbal abuse.  Many 14-year-olds have not yet
learned to handle this sort of thing well (and to be fair, some adults
haven't either).  Be braced for it, and remember that no one here has
any power over you that you don't permit them.