Re: git is screwed

From: Sam Gwydir
Subject: Re: git is screwed
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 23:52:09 -0500

-- Bringing us back to the mailing list.

On 03/22, Richard Stallman wrote:

> What OTHER effects does it have?  I don't dare try it unless I know
> it won't screw me some other way.

As far as I know, none. 'git pull' is basically an alias for 'git
fetch; git merge'. Many git users never use pull and always fetch
separately for more control.

The reason it puts you into an intermediate merge state is in order to
not screw you. If you run 'git status' you can see the current state of
your local branch.

> What does "pushing" mean?

Pushing merges your local branch with the remote branch (Savannah). 'svn
commit' for git would be 'git commit && git push'.

Take a look at this page[1] if you know svn, it lists the analogous
commands.

> I assumed that C-x v v was installing my changes.

>From info:

  ...VC supports many common Git operations, but others, such as
  repository syncing, must be done from the command line.

I don't use vc.el, but from some quick testing it appears it only
commits. You have to push separately.

Many people, myself included, use Magit[2] to interact with git through
emacs. It will simplify your life. There is a package in MELPA if you
are interested.

Sam Gwydir.

Footnotes:

[1] https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSvnCrashCourse