Re: VC mode and git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 16:26:17 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 08:54:31 -0400
>
> > Isn't it clear, after all the flood of the messages, that Richard has
> > no use for those advantages?  Why cannot he have a VC feature, which
> > should be optional, to do what he want under certain circumstances and
> > given specific customizations?  This _is_ Emacs, after all, isn't it?
>
> I think this should be implemented on the Git side, FWIW.

If you are talking about a kind-of "bound branch", I agree.

But I'm not sure this is the issue here, or at least not the only
one.  For example, we could have "C-x v v" do a commit, and then the
next "C-x v v" do a push.

The broader issue is how to generalize RCS-style vc-next-action to
modern dVCSes.  I think the current "generalization" is mostly a net
loss; we can and should do better.