Re: VC mode and git

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 01:53:19 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > > Only from your self-declared non-expert perspective.  Bzr has *one*
 > > advantage in flexibility over git, and that is bound branches.
 >
 > FWIW, it has also lightweight checkouts.

Those are basically crippled bound branches IMHO; if you want to count
them separately, that makes sense since Richard is always concerned
about using Emacs on machines that are seriously underpowered by
today's standards in OECD countries.  Or, for most of bzr's history,
you could just use git and get the same reduction in space used,
without losing disconnected operation. :-)

 > It also has situations where it handles file-renames better (see
 > the corresponding vc-print-log bug report mentioned recently).

I wouldn't call that "flexibility"; it's a different approach, and
IIRC bzr never learned to detect those automatically so you had to use
bzr rename or bzr copy to get the right answer.  If bzr can autodetect
renames, then it would be more flexible.