Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 18:02:15 -0400

> Well spotted. Though it shouldn't hurt to have a buffer pos ending a
> comment that never started.

It's kind of OK, but it's suboptimal.  Another side effect (for normal
cited lines) is that the last char of that line will have "end of
comment" syntax rather than its normal syntax, so M-f may end up
stopping one char earlier than expected (if the cited lines ends with
a word).

> Otoh I see no reason why it shouldn't be
> `end' to `(1+ end)' instead...

Because you generally don't know what's after `end'.

I think in the case of the smiley regexps, rather than mark them as
comments, it's better to only change the parenthesis's syntax to be
"punctuation".

        Stefan