Re: VC mode and git

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:30:47 +0200

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
"Easy to proceed with fixing" is an impossible standard, when you're
talking about people who don't follow instructions to the letter and
probably don't remember exactly what they did.  For example, I have no
fscking idea how Richard put his workspace into a state where git
thinks a zillion source files are modified.

That one is easy: He did a pull. His local repo had been modified, since he had been doing some work there. And then the pull failed due to a merge conflict in lisp/ChangeLog. As a result, all the files resulting from the successful part of the merge are in the index, and hence marked as modified. There are a lot of them because a lot had been happening in the central repo while Richard was hacking on his own.

I am quite confident that all the changes he made are safely stored in the dca743f0941909a80e3f28c023977120b6203e20 commit in his local repo. The *only* possible data loss is in lisp/ChangeLog, since that was (I believe) in an edited, uncommitted state when he did the pull.

– Harald