Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 15:48:34 +0300

On 03/31/2015 03:29 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

The default of package-load-list is to enable everything, so the main
use for package-load-list is to *prevent* initialization of
some packages.
IOW, the "setter" would have to *undo* some initializations, which is
can't be done reliably.

Maybe, in the long run, a nicer approach would be to put the `custom-set-variables` form for the ELPA packages into a separate file, and load it after `package-initialize' was called.

I realize a variation of this has already been suggested, but this seems quite sane to me.

The downside would be that it won't help with existing entries in `custom-file', but if a user currently has package-related entries there, either their Emacs doesn't start, or the user already calls `package-initialize' earlier, or each entry doesn't really depend on respective package having been loaded.