Re: Emacs 24.5 on Windows?

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Emacs 24.5 on Windows?
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 12:58:37 +0200

Hi Eli,

I've just realized that I didn't put a copy of 'libXpm.dll' in the
emacs-24.5-bin package.

Do you think it's worth uploading the package again with the above DLL
bundled, or perphaps upload the DLL as a new, separate package?
(FWIW, the second option seems cleaner to me; the library is optional
for emacs and is developed separately from it)

Also, I've noticed that the last version of that library seems to be
3.5.11 (see [1]), which is newer that the last version published in
the emacs/windows folder [2], which is 3.5.8.  So I've tried to build
version 3.5.11 (downloaded from [1]) from the same MinGW environment I
use to build Emacs; but it fails like this:

  $ ./autogen.sh
  autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
  autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
  autoreconf: running: aclocal -I m4
  configure.ac:17: error: must install xorg-macros 1.8 or later before
running autoconf/autogen
  configure.ac:17: the top level
  autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
  aclocal-1.15: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
  autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

However, I can build version 3.5.8 (from [2]) just fine (from the same
build environment):

  $ cd src
  $ make
  gcc -shared -o libXpm.dll  libXpm.def Attrib.o create.o data.o
    CrIFrBuf.o hashtab.o Image.o Info.o misc.o parse.o
    RdFToI.o rgb.o simx.o -lgdi32 -lcrtdll

Should we try to build version 3.5.11 or settle for v3.5.8?  If the
former, do you know how to build that version of the library for
MS-Windows?

TIA

----
[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libXpm
[2] ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

--
Dani Moncayo