xref-find-matches and stuff

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: xref-find-matches and stuff
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 05:45:30 +0300

Hi all,

I've been considering a set of minor changes:

- Use lisp/cedet/pulse.el to briefly highlight the current line after the jump.

- Add the xref-find-matches command (as well as a corresponding backend action), for project-wide string searches (hopefully with regexp support). That probably doesn't sound as exciting as the existing commands, but it will be "Grep in a new UI", and it will eliminate the "select the directory" step.

- Further, using the same data we could implement "search and replace", in the same way as xref-find-references can get us to "rename".

- With this, xref-find-function starts becoming pretty fat. The "references" and "matches" actions can be split into a new variable (xref-scan-function?).

The current find-references implementation, as well as the anticipated find-matches one, are language-agnostic, so we can expect this variable to often keep its default value, especially if the default implementations use some kind of "current project" facility. So far, both etags and elisp backend's references implementations only differ in the directories lists they use.

Thanks,
Dmitry.