Re: disabling undo boundaries

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: disabling undo boundaries
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 13:27:31 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> In the other buffer? So, you can undo the changes to the log buffer one
>> after the other? I agree that makes sense, but it does seem to me that
>> this could be the responsibility of "add timestamp to log buffer".
>
> Right.
>
>> I'm checking at the moment how often this undo-boundary gets called. So
>> far, it's about 1.5% of the time that an undo event gets added, so it's
>> not very often (obviously this is without an a-c-f entry or it would be
>> much higher!).
>
> My guess is that the vast majority of the cases where this code is
> triggered is for process output (inserted in a buffer different from
> the one that's current).

That doesn't really make sense to me. Say I am editing a file in this
buffer while compiling something in that buffer. Why would I want an
update in the compilation buffer to force an undo-boundary in this buffer?

I guess I could try and print this-command to see what is happening when
the condition comes into affect.

Sorry to be persistant about this, but at the moment, changing the code
in undo.c is the only good solution I can see to my problem. It would be
different if explicitally called and automatic boundaries were
distinguishable, but they aren't.

Phil