Re: etags test is broken on MS-Windows

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: etags test is broken on MS-Windows
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 15:16:01 +0200

>> Without that patch, the tests failed on my GNU/Linux host due to encoding
>> problems.  See attached file
>
>I don't think it's due to encoding problem.  (AFAIK, etags doesn't
>regard its input as characters, but as a stream of bytes.)

Ye, etags has no notion of character sets.

>I think it's due to DOS CR-LF EOL format of some files in the test
>suite.  For example, the first file whose tags were different in your
>testing is dostorture.c, which has DOS EOLs, the second file, c.C, has
>a lone ^M character at the end of one of its lines, and so on.
>
>Could you please verify that this is indeed the source of the problem?

Those files were put there to test the behaviour of etags with different
EOL styles. However, few tests were in fact done for etags running on
DOS systems, so in fact there may be undetected regressions on etags for
DOS.

About utf-8, etags' behaviour should be independent of locale...