Re: [Emacs-diffs] master f9fabb2 2/2: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gn

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master f9fabb2 2/2: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 17:05:08 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> As a general tip. Next time you try to pull and find out someone
>> already has already done what you just did, don't resolve the merge
>> conflict. Instead, abort the merge with `git merge --abort` (this will
>> get you back to the state you had right before the pull), and then
>> locally revert your commit.
>
> I don't see how this advice will be able to keep Michael out of
> trouble next time.  AFAICT, it will just get him in a different
> situation, one that isn't simpler or safer to deal with.  Locally
> reverting commits risks losing them, for example.

That's what I did, likely.

However, the tip might give me a way to bring the git repo back to a
stable state, with potential loosing of local changes. As long as I'm
not fluent in solving merge conflicts, that's good to know.

> OTOH, merge conflicts are nothing to be afraid of, the procedure to
> handle them is simple and straightforward.  Michael (and every one
> else here) should IMO master that simple procedure, instead of
> avoiding it.
>
> In a dVCS, you cannot rely on being able to avoid merges all the time
> anyway.  There are always races with other developers.

If git would be more friendly to tell what happens ... why the hell I
must take care on files I've never touched myself.

Best regards, Michael.