Re: Escaping quotes in docstrings, Was: A simple solution to "Upcoming l

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Escaping quotes in docstrings, Was: A simple solution to "Upcoming loss of usability ..."
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 12:46:15 +0300

On 07/02/2015 09:57 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:

I've seen highlighting vanish, but I've never seen the characters
change. Anyway....

Try that with prettify-symbols-mode.

Why? I'm assuming the value is separated from the other contents by
whitespace
or newlines.

I don't think that's a safe assumption.  It's common for quoted
help-values to be jammed into the middle of other text.

I'd need an example. But anyway, this question will be moot if we delegate escaping to the lower level.

But buffer-substring-no-properties has no properties in the result,
right?  So effectively they're removed.

No, they remain on the text. We just use a small piece of it, without properties, to change the appearance of the said text (compose-region adds an extra property).

And what about the TAB?

Indeed, it's a problem in that implementation. But anyway, again, we're unlikely to end up using it.