Re: Background color past the end of the buffer

From: Vaidheeswaran C
Subject: Re: Background color past the end of the buffer
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 13:54:51 +0530

On Friday 10 July 2015 12:06 AM, Yuri D'Elia wrote:
> I'd like to highlight the region past the end of the buffer; that is:
> assuming the buffer ends somewhere halfway the current frame (either due
> to scrolling or due to the buffer being short), I'd like to set an
> highlight between (point-max) and down to the modeline.
>
> I assume it's not possible using markers, and thus overlays.
>
> I don't want to display anything important right now, just change the
> background color.
>
> Any other trick I could use?

Install these ... and then do M-x highlight-buffer-footer.

(defface buffer-footer
  '((t (:background "gold1")))
  "Face for buffer footer")

(defface buffer-text
  '((t (:background "white")))
  "Face for buffer text.")

(defun highlight-buffer-footer ()
  (interactive)
  (custom-set-variables
   '(buffer-face-mode-face (quote buffer-footer)))
  (buffer-face-mode 1)
  (overlay-put (make-overlay (point-min) (point-max)) 'face 'buffer-text))

Use of overlays (as seen above) may not be a good idea.  It would be
worth exploring if face remapping could be used (or improved upon) to
achieve the above effect.

If you are only intereseted in catching whitespaces at the tail end of
the buffer, you can turn on the `empty' style in M-x whitespace-mode
and M-x whitespace-toggle-options.