Re: tramp ControlMaster options

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp ControlMaster options
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 20:43:38 +0200

Yuri D'Elia <address@hidden> writes:

>>> There is `tramp-use-ssh-controlmaster-options' which you could set to
>>> nil after loading Tramp.
>>
>> Some people still have similar problem with helm, and I still don't know
>> why tramp is involved at startup, very annoying.
>
> This is because the definition of `tramp-use-ssh-controlmaster-options'
> itself probes ssh in a bad way.

I don't know what you mean by this. This user option defaults simply to
t, no further test.

Likely you mean `tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options'. This is a variable,
and it will be computed only when it is needed. No Tramp ssh connection,
no probe of ssh for this.

Which Emacs version are you using?

> Any reason why we cannot use `ssh -o BatchMode=yes [various flags]
> 0.0.0.0' instead of using a domain name? This would greatly reduce the
> issue.

The function (!) `tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options' uses "localhost" for
test. This shall avoid DNS requests.

Best regards, Michael.