Re: frame.el: call before-make-frame-hook earlier in make-frame

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: frame.el: call before-make-frame-hook earlier in make-frame
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 09:09:32 +0200

> I would like to propose to call the before-make-frame-hook in the function
> make-frame *before* retrieving the parameters of the new frame
> (window-system-default-frame-alist and default-frame-alist) and not after.
>
> That way, one could dynamically set these variables inside the hook, e.g. to
> create the new frame under the current position of the mouse cursor.

We could easily do that.  But encouraging users to set a variable called
`default-frame-alist' in a hook is probably a very bad advice.  Where
would you change the default value back after you're done with making
the frame?  In `after-make-frame-functions'?

Creating a frame under the mouse cursor should be done by a special
function that calls `make-frame' with the mouse position passed via the
`left' and `top' PARAMETERS thus _overriding_ any default parameters.
Please tell us if and why such a function would not be practicable for
you.

Thanks, martin