Re: how to turn off automatic curly-quoting?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: how to turn off automatic curly-quoting?
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 22:25:38 +0300

> Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 10:18:45 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
>
> I thought that the recent move to using curly quotes was
> going to be optional for users.  But so far, it seems to
> be hard-coded.  E.g., in `describe-function'.

Please be more specific about what do you think is hard-coded in
'describe-function'.  It's hard to respond to such a vague
request/claim.

> Please tell us how a user can turn off this purportedly
> optional curly-quote behavior - everywhere.

Again, "everywhere" is too broad.  My best guess is that you want to
customize 'help-quote-translation', but please verify that it is what
you want.  If it is, you will find it mentioned in NEWS, so if that
entry needs to be amended, please tell what is missing from it.

> Oh, and please put this info in the Emacs manual, as well
> as NEWS.

The above variable is in the ELisp manual already.

In any case, contents of manuals is not finalized until Emacs is in
pretest.  (Volunteers to do it earlier by looking up undocumented NEWS
entries are welcome, of course.)