Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 16:07:17 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 11:35:11 -0500
>>
>> > A debugger needs to know where the executable is and how it should be
>> > called.
>>
>> gud does that
>
> No, it doesn't.  It leaves it to the user to type the exact file name
> every single time.

Ah; I was confusing "the debugger exectuable" and "the user executable
being debugged".

It does remember the last file debugged, so it's not "every single time"
:).

In addition, when I build things in makefiles, gud does a good job of
guessing the correct user executable, and the others are available thru
file completion (since they are all in the same directory).

I don't see how a project can do better; there will still be a list of
possible executables; the most recently compiled isn't necessarily the
one I want to debug.

--
-- Stephe