Re: emacsclient and XAUTHORITY variable

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacsclient and XAUTHORITY variable
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 19:02:59 -0400

> frame's "environment" parameter. So Emacs has all information which is
> necessary, and I wonder if this couldn't be passed to the Xau library
> before opening the X display for the new frame?
> There is also bug http://debbugs.gnu.org/1467 which seems to be
> related.

I'm pretty sure that in theory it can be handled, indeed.
I don't know how much work it would entail in practice.

I must say that I find it a pain in the rear (as a plain user) that gdm3
started to set XAUTHORITY rather than to put the auth data where god
intended it to be (i.e. ~/.Xauthority).  "emacsclient" is not the only
victim, so I'm not highly motivated to fix the problem on Emacs's side.

        Stefan