Re: running EDE from a file that is not under a project root dir

From: Eric Ludlam
Subject: Re: running EDE from a file that is not under a project root dir
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 17:07:48 -0400

On 08/08/2015 11:26 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:
Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

Eric Ludlam <address@hidden> writes:

Other project type also have emacs lisp targets, such as the Emacs
project type.  To use, just enabled ede with

(global-ede-mode 1)

And go edit some Emacs.

Is that supposed to work for random elisp code, or only for code in the
core Emacs repository?

I don't see any effect in random elisp code; in particular, M-:
(ede-current-project) returns nil.

Testing; same result in emacs/master/lisp/xml.el.

So I'm missing something.

I tracked this down. To get this to work, I need the following:

(require 'ede)
(require 'ede/emacs)

(global-ede-mode 1)

The way it should work is to just enable global-ede-mode, and everything else should be brought in. If it isn't there is probably something broken in the way it was merged with Emacs. The setup to make EDE detect Emacs is in ede/emacs.el with an autoload cookie, but it isn't in loaddefs. Probably because it requires eieio ??

Looks like a new mechanism is needed to make sure it bootstraps correctly in core Emacs.

Then when I edit a file in an Emacs git checkout, (ede-current-project)
returns the emacs project.

That project doesn't support 'compile', which is a little surprising. I
was wondering if it could handle out-of-tree builds, which I use.

I don't work on Emacs proper, so I never implemented it. It wouldn't be hard to do. ede/linux has examples of project-compile-project and -target that may be similar. The Emacs version would probably be easier. The C and Lisp and Texi targets could compile just those piece of Emacs.

Along the way, I discovered that the ede code in Emacs core is a little
broken by the recent changes in eieio/cl-generic.

I see this is fixed (at least partly?) in the current EDE SourceForge
git. So I'll use that code base for further work.

The sourceforge version uses older eieio, or eieio compatibility. I haven't been able to get a clean Emacs/git build lately to try anything out. :(

Eric