Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 0382fd4: xref-find-definitions: Exclude more ge

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 0382fd4: xref-find-definitions: Exclude more generic function items.
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 23:33:56 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> +(defcustom find-feature-regexp
>> +  (concat ";;; Code:")
>
> FWIW, I think this is overkill and marginally incorrect.
> (require 'foo) is Elisp's way to "include" a file, so xref should just
> jump to this file's buffer rather than to a specific location within
> that file.  Just like ffap does in a #include.

Yes, compatibility with ffap makes sense.

If the file is already in a buffer, it goes to the current point in that
buffer. Otherwise it goes to point-min.

That requires a change in xref--pop-to-location; it insists on going to
a marker. We'll have to introduce some flag value that means "preserve
current point". Or have the code that produces that marker set it
at the current point.

Short of that, just going to point-min is probably best.

--
-- Stephe