Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 22:53:46 +0000

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:44:28AM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 08/16/2015 07:01 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > branch: master
> > commit 9ce1d38890a77e93af0d20f51c53419c097200d3
> > Author: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> > Commit: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> >
> >      Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics

> And there we go, sneaking curved quotes everywhere in the Elisp source
> files. FTR, I hate that.

No big surprises here, but so do I.

Paul, people have got to edit these files.  Doing this has rarely been
easy.  Polluting them globally with non-working characters is going to
make this even more difficult and much less pleasant.

> >      In the core elisp files, use curved quotes in diagnostic formats,
> >      so that they follow user preference as per ‘text-quoting-style’
> >      rather than being hard-coded to quote `like this'.

This user's preference is to be able to type quote marks in Emacs source
files directly without mincing workarounds, and to be able to search for
them likewise.

Revert this change, please.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).