Require Emacs >=24.3 for next Org versions?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Require Emacs >=24.3 for next Org versions?
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:16:55 +0900

Bastien Guerry writes:

 > Is there a way to know if many users will be excluded from the
 > next Org versions (apart from asking this list)?

Probably not.  However, I've seen results for two surveys of users of
Emacsen at two different corporations (over 200 responses each, I'm
not allowed to say what the companies are) in about 2002 and 2006.
They showed that the majority of users were using Emacsen over 5 years
old in both, and a significant fraction (~5% and ~10%) were using
Emacsen over 10 years old.

 > I'm all for this move, but want to make sure we don't prevent
 > too many users from using the latest Org.

I can say this much about those surveys: those users are (as Achim
points out in a post parallel to this one) in environments where they
need approval from "corporate IT" to use any distribution, and they
probably can't use org from ELPA at work anyway.  So those results may
not be truly relevant to your decision.  Still, you're probably
looking at a majority of Emacs users in those environments who would
be cut off from even the option of applying to corporate IT for
approval of modern org-mode by a decision to require 24.3.

Steve