Re: When was a change installed?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: When was a change installed?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 16:28:53 +0200

> When was the change to make lax whitespace mode the default
> installed?

It has been introduced in commit 63dd1c6f by Juri Linkov on 2012-09-02.

> I can't find anything in the lisp/ChangeLog* files, which run through
> the start of April.
>
> Was it installed after that?  If so, how can I find out when?  There
> is no ChangeLog file to search, now.

One way is to invoke `vc-annotate' in the buffer containing its
definition.  That shows you at least the most recent commit changing its
value.

Another way was to mark its definition and invoke `vc-region-history'
which shows you all commits applied to that region.

Both ways require that you run emacs from your git checkout of course.

A third way is to use git directly in your emacs working directory:

  $ git log --grep=isearch-lax-whitespace

which shows all commits where the commit message (which has
traditionally ChangeLog format in emacs) contains the string
isearch-lax-whitespace.

Bye,
Tassilo