Re: How to opt out of curly-quote spamming altogether?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to opt out of curly-quote spamming altogether?
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 19:45:58 +0300

> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 09:34:09 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > > `help-quote-translation' does seem to prevent curly quotes in
> > > *Help* buffers, so at least there's that.  But I'm looking for
> > > a switch to turn this virus OFF everywhere - to return to
> > > Classic Emacs.  Surely such a simple ON/OFF switch exists?
> >
> > It doesn't.  What you see in Info is literal characters generated
> > when the documentation is built during the Emacs build process.
> > So, to change that, you will have to regenerate the documentation,
> > telling makeinfo not to produce Unicode characters there.
> >
> > Alternatively, you can set up your standard-display-table to display
> > those characters as their ASCII equivalents.
>
> That's horrible.  Users should be able to control this, easily.

Why?  We don't have easy controls for displaying one character as
another.  Why should these characters be different?

> I don't see this problem in a Windows binary from 2014-11-30.  The
> regression was apparently introduced to the Windows builds between
> then and 2014-12-29.

It's the question of which version of Texinfo was used for producing
the docs.  The defaults in Texinfo changed recently, independently of
Emacs development.

> A display-table hack would presumably change all uses of a curly
> quote.

A display table can be specific to a buffer or a window.  See the
ELisp manual for more about that.

But it was you that asked for a switch that changed them _everywhere_,
which is why I suggested standard-display-table, which is global.

> That's not appropriate - it is only the code-"quoting"
> uses that need to be changable/configurable by a user.

What is "code-'quoting'"?  An Info manual is not code, it's mostly
text, but you still wanted these characters changed there.