RE: How to opt out of curly-quote spamming altogether?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to opt out of curly-quote spamming altogether?
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 10:06:35 -0700 (PDT)

> > that option has no effect on the quotation style used in the
> > manuals.
>
> Correct.  Display of info files is unaffected by the changes in
> Emacs master over the past month or two.  Info files use curved
> quotes as of Emacs 24.5, due to a 2013 change in Texinfo, not in Emacs.

Not good.  Users should have control over this, or the previous
behavior should be restored.

It makes no sense for Emacs to impose curly quoting for inline code
fragments.  That doesn't make much sense for other programming
contexts either.  Why should Texinfo make such decisions about the
doc for a particular product such as Emacs?  This is truly a step
backward.

Wrt the argument that a 2013 Texinfo change forces Emacs's hand:
I have Emacs builds that are much more recent than 2013, and which
do not exhibit this breakage.  Sounds to me like a cop-out, to
blame this only on a Texinfo change.

Hard to believe that Texinfo/makeinfo does not give builders any
choice about the resulting characters.  And Eli seems to make clear
that Emacs _can_ still be built without curly quotes, "telling
makeinfo not to produce Unicode characters there".

If nothing else works, the doc should be built both ways, and users
should be allowed to choose which presentation to use.