Re: Supporting multiline Package-Requires header

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Supporting multiline Package-Requires header
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 23:51:46 +0100

>> I don't think anyone will complain if one of the files has a comment
>> that's slightly different.
>
> Sigh.  So it boils down to this: you want us to implement a horrible
> hack in Org to support some other horrible hack in ELPA to get rid of a
> tiny bit of a hack in another part of ELPA.  I'll leave it to Bastien to
> decide which way to proceed.

>From what I've been gathering (do correct me if I'm wrong), it sounds
like this issue stems from wanting to use GNU Elpa to release org
snapshots.
You want your version numbers to be updated every day, and you need
that because you want to always deliver the very latest commits.

However, the Gelpa reporistory is really more designed to deliver
proper releases, not snapshots. Which is why its release system is
based on when you bump the version number (which people usually do on
a specific commit when they decide to release).

That said, I'm not here to tell people they're "doing it wrong". And
I'm very sympathetic to org.
So, if you guys find that any solution on org's side would be "a
horrible hack", I can put some effort into making Gelpa's "tiny hack"
a little smaller.