Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/international and lisp/leim
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 22:33:13 +0300

On 09/01/2015 06:39 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

So I thought we were going to replace the `...' markup with ‘...’ markup
(which fixes both points at the same time if we assume that we keep
sticking to ASCII quotes for the rest, tho at the cost of using
non-ASCII markup).

That would undermine another stated goal (by Paul): improve the typography in Emacs.

But if we start using curly quotes everywhere, then we're back with the
ambiguity, so that's not a good solution.

So what's the exact ambiguity that you have in mind? Code references or snippets vs. everything else like key sequences?

Then I definitely misunderstood you a while back.

So maybe a better option is to refine the `...' markup to get rid of
the ambiguity.  E.g.:
- `...' is only considered valid markup if ... doesn't contain any
   whitespace (or some such restriction: it should be a simple rule that
   still accepts most existing uses, especially those where we want to
   place a hyperlink).

We might also want to support code snippets like `(progn (foo bar foo))'. At least, elisp-completion-at-point relies on snippets being quoted that way now. We can detect these using paired parens.

- All other occurrences of ` and ' are treated a standalone ASCII chars
   rather than as part of some markup.
   So `C-x C-f' is not valid markup any more (and won't be prettified).

If you like (though I'd rather keep prettifying them until we introduce a better way to emphasize them as key sequences: there's no apparent value in not making them pretty).