Re: yes-or-no-p prompt conditionally broken in master?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: yes-or-no-p prompt conditionally broken in master?
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 13:34:39 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 03:58:52PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> > address@hidden,  address@hidden
> > Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 14:40:00 +0200

> > > Sorry, I lost you: what different meaning is that?

> > (elisp) Yes-or-No Queries

> Still no clue, sorry.

> Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing: the signature of
> both functions and the return value are the same.  What I propose is
> to change the body so that it could act like one or the other,
> depending on the value of some defcustom.

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I find the above worrying,
depending on the "depending".

If the defcustom has three values "Always-y-or-n", "Always-yes-or-no",
"depends-on-the-particular-invocation", I'm fine.  With just the first
two alternatives, I wouldn't like it.

i.e. each formerly yes-or-no-p call would have to be something like

    (y-or-n-p "Really? " t)

.

> If you still think this is wrong, please elaborate.

I'm wondering whether coalescing these two function is more trouble than
it's worth.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).