Re: Using different default-directory and relative paths in VC, Was: Re:

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Using different default-directory and relative paths in VC, Was: Re: bug#21383
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2015 18:33:56 -0400

>>> Does vc-status get a relative file name as input?
>> Currently, I don't think so.  But that could be changed if needed.
> Hopefully not.
>>> b) how are you going to enforce it?.
>> By checking all callers?
> That's an odd thing to do for an API. What if diff-hl calls vc-state with an
> absolute path? Will it get a slap on the wrist?

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about vc-state.  No I guess
vc-state would have to keep working with absolute file names (tho it
could be extended to also accept relative file names).

> in question should work well enough. Although when a command is
> passed a list of files, determining their common parent will require
> more effort.

I'd expect that the caller should be able to easily arrange for each
file in the list to *already* be relative to default-directory, so
there's no need to look for the common parent.

        Stefan