Re: Need help debugging Emacs: emacsclient will not draw its contents so

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Need help debugging Emacs: emacsclient will not draw its contents sometimes
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 18:26:40 +0300

> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 15:29:18 -0700
> From: Jon Dufresne <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > So now the question is why you don't see the display.  Please step
> > through command_loop_1 until it calls read_key_sequence, step into
> > that, then step until it calls read_char, and step through read_char
> > until it calls redisplay_internal.  Once you are inside
> > redisplay_internal, step through it and show which lines are being
> > executed.
>
> Thanks. I'm no expert on gdb, but I believe I have followed your
> suggestion. Below is the output from gdb by stepping through
> redisplay_internal from beginning to end. Let me know what you think.
> Any insight as to why the contents are not drawn?

This shows that Emacs examined the frames and windows, and decided
that nothing requires to be redrawn.  Most redisplay cycles are like
that, so this trace doesn't yet point to any problem.

If you type "M-x" into the (empty, AFAIU) client frame, does Emacs
display the "M-x" prompt?  Does it also redisplay some of the frame?
What happens if you type "M-x redraw-display RET"? does Emacs display
anything?