Re: Get rid of verilog-no-change-functions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Get rid of verilog-no-change-functions
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 09:12:26 -0400

> eval-when-compile doesn't introduce a scope.

Depends on your definition of scope.  And I'm pretty sure your notion of
scope doesn't exactly match the currently implemented notion of scope,
so better not depend too much on such corner cases.

And yes, the "natural" implementation of eval-when-compile where the
compiler just passes the expression to `eval' would end up introducing
a new scope and (eval-when-compile (defvar foo)) would end up not having
any effect at all.

Been there done that!  And then took me some time to figure out why the
existing code happens to work as people expect it.  It really is
an accident that derives from a "too lax" implementation of the compiler.

        Stefan