RE: Demoting `custom-file' to a defvar

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Demoting `custom-file' to a defvar
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 08:31:28 -0800 (PST)

> > [There should also perhaps be some mention of the possibly
> > confusing fact that `custom-file' is itself a user option,
> > i.e., something managed by Customize!  Clearly it is a
> > special option, in that you cannot depend on it becoming
> > properly defined by loading the file that defines it!]
> Thanks for bringing this up Drew.
>
> Honestly, this sounds like a bug to me. Perhaps there's some
> witchcraft involved, but I fail to see how it can be possible to save
> `custom-file' via the customization interface and have it be properly
> loaded on the next session.
>
> Unless someone would like to correct me on that, I'd like to
> just demote it to a defvar.

I don't disagree that it is a gotcha, which is why I mentioned
it.  (And I've mentioned it before.)  I disagree that it should
simply be changed to a defvar.  (But I don't feel strongly about
it.)

Please read the doc string of option `custom-file' carefully.
IMO, users should be able to take advantage of Customize when
defining the value.

What's missing is up-front mention of this in the manual,
at the place where we explain the init file (node Init File).

The general _recommendation_ should be to use `custom-file',
and in node `Init File' we should present a simple init-file
example that shows how to do this.  That's all.

The newbie question "Where is my init file?" or "How do I
create my init file?" gets asked over and over anyway, even
though this is covered in node `Init File'.  The same way the
node answers that question, it should show users how to set
and load `custom-file' in their init files.  End of story.

Another thing that could help is for Customize to remind
(nag) you whenever you try to save anything, if `custom-file'
is nil.  The nag should point you to the doc about
`custom-file' in node `Init File'.

An option could turn off this nagging, or a particular
response when nagged could turn it off.  IOW, the nagging
would be for the benefit of newbies, not those who are
aware of `custom-file' but prefer, for whatever reason,
not to use it.