Re: ELPA policy

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 16:36:50 -0800

> I haven't yet received an answer to my question whether anything will change
> for users, depending on where you happen to manage the code wrt ELPA etc.
>
> But it sounds like the answer is yes. If some stuff that has traditionally
> been part of the distribution gets moved to (net) ELPA, it will no longer be
> distributed to users. They will need to pull it down using the package
> interface. Is that right?

Correct. Sorry I assumed that the discussion had answered your question in
passing.

> If so, I'm not crazy about that. I don't particularly want to go fishing in
> (net) ELPA for stuff that I've always been able to simply grep from within
> the distribution `lisp' directory. Especially, but not only, when I am not
> on the Internet.

Those things could then be in tarball ELPA. The distinction between tarball
ELPA and net ELPA is much more plastic than core and tarball ELPA. In fact, I
have a feeling that, initially, tarball ELPA and net ELPA will just be the
same thing, until we have a reason to tease them apart.

> I hope you will continue to (also) distribute Emacs with all of its
> (traditional) source code, and not just make users request it from (net)
> ELPA.

This is my preference as well.

John