Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:20:58 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
People who don't like electric-indent-mode can just turn it off, can't
they?  Why argue about defaults when they can be so easily changed?

I think we're discussing the default behavior when electric-indent-mode is on, which it often is by default.

I too was taken aback and annoyed by the new behavior of C-o. For example, I visited src/lisp.h and typed this:

C-s xnmalloc C-a C-o

The resulting buffer looked like this:

  extern void *xrealloc (void *, size_t) ATTRIBUTE_ALLOC_SIZE ((2));
  extern void xfree (void *);
extern void *xnmalloc (ptrdiff_t, ptrdiff_t) ATTRIBUTE_MALLOC_SIZE ((1,2));
  extern void *xnrealloc (void *, ptrdiff_t, ptrdiff_t)
    ATTRIBUTE_ALLOC_SIZE ((2,3));

(where the cursor is marked with "X"), i.e., the "xnmalloc" line was greatly indented, which is not what I wanted. With old Emacs it would look like this:

  extern void *xrealloc (void *, size_t) ATTRIBUTE_ALLOC_SIZE ((2));
  extern void xfree (void *);
  extern void *xnmalloc (ptrdiff_t, ptrdiff_t) ATTRIBUTE_MALLOC_SIZE ((1,2));
  extern void *xnrealloc (void *, ptrdiff_t, ptrdiff_t)
    ATTRIBUTE_ALLOC_SIZE ((2,3));

which is what I wanted: a new blank line with the cursor at the start, and with no change to the next line.