Re: kqueue in Emacs 25.1?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: kqueue in Emacs 25.1?
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 12:58:33 +0100

> Wolfgang Jenkner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'd suggest one of
>>
>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/VM-IMAGES/10.2-RELEASE/amd64/Latest/
>
> Thanks for this, I'll try it.

Thanks to the support by Wolfgang, I could continue implementing kqueue
integration for Emacs. The code in branch scratch/kqueue is working
pretty well on FreeBSD 10.2. The example in the Elisp manual runs proper
except the notification of file attribute changes. This is a minor
problem only; other file notification backends have also problems with
this.

test/automated/auto-revert-tests.el passes.

test/automated/file-notify-tests.el shows two failed test
cases. According to my debugging, it is not a problem of the kqueue
backend itself, but a problem how this test suite tries to catch file
notification events. Also a minor problem I would say.

How to continue? There are several options:

* Merge the branch into the emacs-25 branch.

* Merge the branch into the master branch.

* Keep the code still in this branch for a while.

Personally, I'm in favor of the first option. In any case: People using
*BSD or Mac OS are encouraged to run their own tests.

Best regards, Michael.