Re: eudc conversion to bbdb (in bbdb3.1.2?)

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: eudc conversion to bbdb (in bbdb3.1.2?)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 15:01:18 -0500

"Roland Winkler" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun Nov 15 2015 George McNinch wrote:
>> I'm using "git-emacs"
>> emacs-version => "25.1.50.1"
>> and elpa bbdb
>> bbdb-version => "3.1.2" (via ELPA)

Which ELPA?  MELPA?

>> If I do M-x eudc-query, find a record corresponding to a contact not in
>> my bbdb , and try to add it to my bbdb via "b" (more precisely, by the
>> function "eudc-try-bbdb-insert")
>>
>> I get an error - this is what appears in *Messages*:
>
> The BBDB interface in EUDC assumes BBDB 2.
> With the release of BBDB 3, EUDC should be updated to interact with
> BBDB 3.

The version of EUDC in question should be able to read bbdb 2.x or bbdb
3.x formatted databases transparently.  But I haven't done much testing
with eudc-query and writing BBDB entries from there.  Can you file a bug
against Emacs eudc, with a series of steps to reproduce?

That said, it's hard to even know what combination to test because EUDC
is in Emacs core, whereas BBDB is either provided by the distro, or
built from source, or installed from some another ELPA.

Managing the EUDC/BBDB dependency would be much easier if BBDB were in
GNU ELPA or core.

I guess now is a good time to revisit: is there any chance of BBDB ever
getting assignment paperwork from its existing contributors?  As I
understand it, though BBDB 3 is largely a rewrite it still uses code
patterns from prior contributors that may not be clear from a copyright
standpoint?

Thanks,
Thomas