Re: Q: text-quoting-style -- is its value a string or a symbol?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Q: text-quoting-style -- is its value a string or a symbol?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 18:17:59 +0200

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 19:23:54 -0800
> Cc: Emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> Drew Adams wrote:
>
> > 1. Just because you might make use of this
> >     variable in the implementation of `substitute-command-keys',
> >     that is no reason to document it here.
>
> Where should it be documented?

I think it should be a defcustom, and documented in the user manual.

> > 3. Why is this not a _user option_, instead of an internal
> >     variable?
>
> Stefan asked that it not be a custom var; see:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-08/msg01020.html

He also said he hoped we'll delete the variable, so it's not
surprising he didn't want to document it.

Lots of water under the bridge since then, so I think we are not where
we were back then, and the variable cannot be left in its obscurity.