Re: When do we merge the commits from emacs-25 onto master?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: When do we merge the commits from emacs-25 onto master?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:46:11 -0800

From: David Engster <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 23:43:21 +0100
Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>

We still haven't figured out how to deal with the generated ChangeLogs,
so I'm not sure we should merge at the moment.
Would it work to somehow teach gitmerge.el to use the (fixed) text
from ChangeLog.2 as the merge-commit log message, instead of the
original log message at emacs-25 commit time?

A clever idea, and something like that might work, but it sounds brittle. Often, changes to ChangeLog.2 aren't isolated to single commits, and offhand I don't see how in general to figure out which parts of ChangeLog.2 should be matched to which commits.

How about the following idea instead. Let's put the emacs-25 branch in charge of ChangeLog.2, and put the master branch in charge of a new file ChangeLog.3 that exists only in the master branch. We can do this by updating CHANGELOG_HISTORY_INDEX_MAX to 3 only in the master. Then merges from emacs-25 to master should be trivial, as people who want to manually edit ChangeLog.2 or to update it via 'make change-history' should do so only in the emacs-25 branch. We'll need to modify 'make ChangeLog' so that in the master it ignores commit messages merged from the emacs-25 branch (I assume this is doable but I haven't checked this). Backporting changes will still be a hassle (we'll need to run 'make change-history' in the master, and then manually update ChangeLog.3 to remove references to the changes being backported to emacs-25), but that's OK.