Re: Why change the advertised bindings of Isearch commands?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why change the advertised bindings of Isearch commands?
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 09:58:29 +0200

> Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 16:03:28 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> > 1. C-h c M-e - M-e runs the command forward-sentence
> > 2. C-h c M-c - M-c runs the command capitalize-word
> > 3. C-h c M-r - M-r runs the command move-to-window-line-top-bottom
> >
> > IOW, those are keys that are more useful to exit Isearch and do
> > what they do normally, thus advertising the new bindings will help
> > to get rid of old bindings in later releases.
>
> I disagree that we should remove those keys from the realm of
> Isearch just because they have global bindings.  There are many,
> many keys that you can use to exit Isearch.  And different users
> use different such keys to exit.  And different users care to
> have different keys exit and act immediately.

The issue is not how to exit Isearch.  The issue is how to go forward
one sentence or capitalize a word while in Isearch.  What you are
saying is that a user who spots a word to be capitalized during
Isearch needs to do at least 2 things: exit Isearch with some key,
then type M-c.  Jury wants just M-c within Isearch to do both.