Re: Debugging Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Debugging Emacs
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 09:56:43 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 22:05:52 +0000
>
> With etc/DEBUG, I am worried not about what it does not say, but what it
> does say. It's really very dense.

It is written from the POV of someone who is way beyond basic
debugging techniques, and needs only the Emacs-specific information.
Once upon a time, only people matching that description "dared" to
debug Emacs on the C level.  This file was born back then.

> > More specifically, how about a preamble section at the beginning of
> > etc/DEBUG, named something like "If you are new to debugging Emacs",
> > and describing the preliminaries you think are important?  You can
> > refer to later sections instead of repeating what they say.
>
> Yes, that was sort of the idea. Personally, I'd not be too worried about
> repeating things. I realise that this adds to the maintainance burden,
> but references to later sections make for harder reading.

It is OK to say something simple in the preamble, and refer to later
sections for more in-depth detail.

But I will now stop writing comments to a text I didn't yet see, and
let you work on it instead ;-)

> I'll try and simplify what I wrote a bit further.

Thanks.