Re: Is `kbd' idempotent?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Is `kbd' idempotent?
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:01:09 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Uh, how is somebody going to input the format that `kbd' outputs?  The
> input is a string, the output often a vector.
>
> And no, kbd does not accept such vectors as input.

That part is not a problem, since I pass only strings to `kbd'.

Mmh, maybe it should better ask: if KEYS is a string that describes a
key sequence in any format that Emacs understands, or in the format that
is used for keyboard macros, and I call `kbd' on it, is the result
always a representation of same key sequence?  The docstring of `kbd'
leaves open what it does with formats different from the keyboard macro
format.  Or is there any test that I could use to decide whether KEYS is
in the keyboard macro format?

Michael.