Re: why does make check run all tests?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: why does make check run all tests?
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 21:49:34 +0000

Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> writes:

> According to GCS, ‘make check’ is supposed to run the test suite.  When
> someone wants to run a specific test he should be able (in Automake's
> conventions) to override the TESTS variable with a make flag like this:
>
>   make check TESTS="tests/.."
>
> Since Emacs does not use Automake, it would be nice to adapt your changes
> to enforce this behavior.

I fear that this would be rather clunky, since there are already about
90 test files. The test makefile already supports individual builds,
though, and so I haven't changed this (not deliberately, anyway, the
implementation has).

So

make abbrev-tests

or

make lisp/abbrev-tests

runs the abbrev-tests and dumps to standard out, while

make lisp/abbrev-tests.log

generates the log file.

Phil