Re: lax matching is not a great default behavior

From: Per Starbäck
Subject: Re: lax matching is not a great default behavior
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 23:27:00 +0100

> If we are afraid users will hate this default, we can turn it off in
> v25.1 and consider making it the default later.

That would be good, together with introducing an entry for it in the
Options menu directly below (or above?) "Ignore case for search". This
deserves to be as visible as that option. Should it be "Ignore accents
for search"?

I think it's often best to make something just available first to get
more feedback on it before it's made the default. (One thing I expect
from that feedback is bug reports about how that option doesn't work
for some characters for some languages, as I've written about in
another thread, which will give an indication of whether the problem
is as serious as I made it out to be.)

> Alternatively, we
> could quickly release Emacs 25.2 with character folding turned off if
> we see an outcry.  But polling at this time will not be efficient,
> IMO.

Not at all as good! To "quickly release" something doesn't mean that
it is a quick change for users, who may keep using that version for a
long time.