Re: reftex.el autoloads

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: reftex.el autoloads
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 18:34:01 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
>> Cc: <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 22:03:32 +0000
>>
>> So, quite a lot of files seem to set generated-autoload-file to
>> loaddefs.el which seems a bit odd (since it's the default).
>
> Only in lisp/cedet/, I think.  I'm guessing this is the result of
> integrating CEDET.  If you want the details, maybe the CEDET people
> and/or Chong (which did most of the work) could tell you the reasons
> for that.  I suggest to look at Git logs and maybe ask them Or maybe
> Glenn (CC'ed) remembers.

If you don't set generated-autoload-file, your autoloads end up in the
top-level loaddefs.el. The CEDET packages have their own loaddefs.el
files underneath lisp/cedet:

lisp/cedet/srecode/loaddefs.el
lisp/cedet/semantic/loaddefs.el
lisp/cedet/ede/loaddefs.el

The reason for this is that those loaddefs.el autoload EIEIO classes
with eieio-defclass-autoload. If we'd have those in the toplevel
loaddefs.el, this would trigger loading EIEIO at startup.

-David