Re: Please add comments to isearch.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Please add comments to isearch.el
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 09:25:05 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 00:59:38 +0200
> Cc: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>       emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> > I don't mind breaking things on master.
> > The point is that Isearch is probably one of the most used emacs features.
> > I expect there are lots of packages out there using its api. I'm not sure
> > overhauling it would be worth the pain it would cause to everyone who's
> > maintaining/using those packages.
>
> +1
>
> For example, the recent removal of a layer of indirection for lax-whitespace
> broke customizations that allowed overriding search-forward-lax-whitespace
> with own implementation to ignore all possible whitespace instead of
> just spaces in the search string.

Hey, I didn't suggest refactoring to begin with.  I suggested to add
commentary to explain how things work there.  The example you give is
just another confirmation of my observation that the code in
isearch.el has long ago crossed the line of being unmaintainable, and
I think we should fix that ASAP.

Thanks.